More selfless sewing …Posted: September 13, 2014
Friends, it’s been a while, I know. It’s been a busy couple of months. I recently retired from paid employment, and I’m making some changes to my sewing room, which is coming along nicely. I’ve also been reflecting on my sewing and my new wardrobe needs; now that I no longer have to go to work, my requirements have altered significantly. I’ve reached a few conclusions, which I’ll share with you soon.
For now though …
I was asked to make an apron for my neice for Christmas. It will be a present from her Grandma and, in return, Grandma will make a donation to my local hospice in lieu of payment. How could I refuse?
The local hospice is a cause close to my heart, having lost two very dear friends recently, both of whom spent their last days in the hospice.
For the apron, I used a downloadable pdf pattern called Yaya’s Apron, by SivjeGoose available here:
It was a lovely project to sew, and quite absorbing. I made the age 10 – 14 size; although my neice is only 7, she is tall and will soon grow into it. Also, this way, it will last her a few years. It’s a very practical style, which pops over the head and has a closed yoke to keep it on securely, and optional back waist ties – I opted to use them, as it will pull it in a bit for her until she grows into it.
I was also asked to make a matching hair tie, which you can see folded over on the hanger underneath the apron. For this, I basically used the ruffle pattern piece, to which I added a matching curve at the ‘blunt end’. I cut two pieces and sandwiched them right sides together with the broderie anglaise trim on the curved edge, leaving a small gap to turn right side out and stitch closed. It makes a nice elongated crescent shaped tie, which could also double as a waist tie if it is really tooooo big!
I did not follow the instructions slavishly, and went off piste a little with some broderie anglaise trim I wanted to use instead of the recommended bias binding for trimming the pocket and the ruffle. I do like the pattern though, and I will probably use it again to make an adult sized apron.
The fabrics are a grey cotton/linen blend with a cute multicoloured elephant print, and red cotton poplin with cream mini polka dots, both purchased at a local market. The bias binding is cream with a sweet strawberry print.