I cut this out this afternoon, after a plumbing emergency put paid to my laundry plans. All now sorted, but needed to call out an emergency tradesperson, mucho expensive!
The pattern is a free download, and the original pattern has a short kimono sleeve, but this is for my mum and she don’t do no short sleeve! So I made a pattern piece for a long sleeve. Unfortunately my overlocker chose to misbehave herself. I’ve fiddled & faddled about with it, but I can’t get her to form the stitches properly. I wonder if I have knocked the timing out or something? Anyway, she is off to the sewing machine hospital on Monday for a check up. So I had to knock this one out on the sewing machine, which was a faff.
This fabric is a bit odd, the flowers are kind of plasticky feeling and embossed onto lightweight viscose jersey, but mama likes it and that’s all that matters. I think I bought it from ebay, but I can’t remember.
I took the photo before hemming and cover stitching the neckband, and I can’t be bothered to photograph it again. You’ll just have to believe me when I say the neckline lies nice and flat, now it is cover hemmed. It has turned out rather well, if I say so myself.
Sleeves still need to be hemmed, but I need mama to try it on before I can do that, they will undoubtedly need significant shortening.
Another day, another Style Arc top. This time, it’s Creative Cate. This is a very, very, quick make. There are only 3 pattern pieces; back, front and neck binding, but I think none the less flattering for it’s simplicity, no? I’ve made this pattern up before, in a drapey white knit with a pink, red and beige stylised flower print, I love it and I wear it a lot. I love this one too, although this knit is a bit firmer, 95% cotton & 5% spandex, so not quite as drapey around the neckline as my other one. It might soften up in the wash after a while. What do you think of the print? A bit wild, eh? I love these colours. (The background is Teal, and the flowers are Lilac, Lime and Turquoise). I was inspired by seeing a promotional video this morning of a Kaffe Fassett exhibition which is currently on at the American Museum in Britain.
It doesn’t fit quite so snugly on me. I must get round to sorting Brunnhilde out to more accurately reflect my new size.
It’s been a Bank Holiday here in the UK, so I had an extra day to play. I’ve cheated a bit though, as I haven’t hemmed it or cover stitched the neck band and seams yet, but I wanted to blog it before it got too late. I’m off to finish it now, and hope to wear it to work tomorrow with navy linen trousers.
Style Arc Sunny.
This is a soft, cosy, drop-shouldered jumper for layering over a t-shirt and leggings on those days when
I can’t be bothered to get dressed I’m relaxing at home . My Gran would have called it (and me) a ‘Sloppy Joe’, hence the title of the post 🙂
The fabric is supposedly French Terry, which I bought online from Girl Charlee in the USA. It’s not as substantial as I hoped, but I loved the colours. It’s a loose knit cotton, with subtle pastel variegation on a lemon yellow background. It’s stretchy, but not very stretchy. I was hoping for something a bit more ‘sweatshirt’ weight, but this is really quite light, and I can see no evidence of the promised ‘low terry pile’ Girl Charlee promised.
Never mind. It went together incredibly quickly, there are only a few pattern pieces. The shape is ‘cocoon’, which means it’s pegged slightly from the hips downwards. I cover stitched the neckband, cuffs and hem. The sleeves are a bit too close fitting from the elbows downwards, I’d alter these slightly next time, and also would put banded cuffs on instead of just turning up a hem.
Still, two garments made in two days. I’m on a roll!
I wasted a few hours hours today, sewing up a Style Arc Belinda top. It’s a pattern I’ve had in my stash for a while – in fact, it’s one of the first Style Arc patterns I ever bought. I made size 18, not quite realising how much weight I’ve lost.
The problem with Style Arc Patterns is that they only come in a single size. You buy size 18, you get size 18. You lose weight, you buy a smaller pattern 😦 Unfortunately I now have a pile of size 18 Style Arc top patterns and a size 14/16 pair of boobs. This top looks pretty dreadful on me.
Even more annoying, it’s one of the more challenging things I’ve sewn, and I was really pleased with the end result, until I tried it on. I had some difficulties visualising how the drape should be attached. Style Arc instructions are hilarious for their brevity! I worked it out, eventually.
The fabric is a lovely quality medium weight apple green cotton/lycra jersey, with white pin dots, very stretchy, with good recovery.
Here’s a pic on Brunnhilde:
Sadly, these days I am somewhat depleted in the mammary dept, so it doesn’t fit me. Back to the drawing board.
I’m pleased to announce the winner of my birthday giveaway:
Congratulations Suzanne! I will email you shortly to get your postal address.
Last chance to enter my Bloggy Anniversary giveaway! I’ll be choosing the lucky winner of 2 lovely metres of Liberty Tana lawn at random tomorrow.
Just leave a comment here saying what you would like to make with it, and what colours you like. I’m happy to post anywhere, but you’ve got to be in it to win it 🙂
I’ll pick the winner and announce tomorrow afternoon (GMT).
Jessica Lauren Vintage Afternoon Blouse, version 2, with the same adjustments as version 1. The fabric, busted from the stash, is another drapey viscose print, this time ditsy red, pink, white and yellow flowers on black. Heaven knows where I bought it, but I am glad to have moved it on at last! I’ll be wearing it to work tomorrow with black jeans.
I recommend this pattern for a satisfying quick make, it’s very easy and literally goes together in an afternoon!