I’ve finished my dress and I really like it 🙂
Even though the fabric is cheap, thin and has no discernable stretch in any direction. The colours are stunning and I love the big Lotus pattern. I love a big, colourful design – working to the premise that if you can’t lose it or hide it, you may as well decorate it!
It was a learning curve. I used clear elastic to gather the shoulders. If I make it again I’ll either use proper elastic, or two rows of clear elastic.
Going by envelope measurements, I made the largest size, which turned out to be far too big up top for me. Unfortunately, this wasn’t apparent until the dress was finished, so I had to chop two big wedges out from under the arms, not a perfect solution, but it works.
The pattern is easy to sew, but somewhat extravagant – it has you stitching double seams, which is overkill in my opinion, especially when you are overlocking to finish the edges. The waistband casing has you cutting off an inch of fabric from the top of the skirt once you have attached it to the bodice. (When stitching the casing down you need to be careful not to trap the bodice in the seam – ask me how I know :/) And the tie belt is 6 feet long. 6 feet!
I didn’t bother with the ties on the back, they are just tooooo fiddly for words, darned skinny rouleau things, pah! Sorry people; life is short.
It will be a great holiday dress, whenever I go somewhere warm enough to wear it.
I’d definitely sew this again in some better quality fabric, and I’ve already altered the paper pattern to fit me better next time.
I fell in love with the print on this cotton knit fabric. The colours are just divine. I thought it would make a fabulous maxi dress for hot summer nights under swaying palms …
A girl can dream.
Unfortunately, it was chirpy chirpy cheap cheap, and the quality isn’t great. In fact, it’s rubbish. But I bought 4 metres so I’m going for it anyway. Watch this space!
Well it has been a miserable wet day here in West Yorkshire, but I have been hard at it in the sewing room and my first ever bag is finished.
I’m really rather pleased with it.
The exterior fabric is purple Corduroy. The interior is a divine Kaffe Fassett print called Jupiter, in shades of pinks, lilacs, mauves, orange etc. It really is lovely and co-ordinates perfectly with the purple.
For the interior pockets I used some scraps of pink cotton sateen. I also added a key leash with a dog clip, because I find those so useful.
Things I learned.
My sewing machine doesn’t like fusible fleece.
Or large amounts of interfacing.
Or sewing through more than a couple of layers.
The pattern is intended for quilting cottons and not for heavier fabrics.
But I like it and will sew it again.
Apologies for the poor photo quality, they were taken with artificial light as it’s such a gloomy day. I might re-take them tomorrow.
I changed my theme, and like it – a lot – what do you think? It’s called ‘Clean Home’, which made me chuckle! Surely no-one who works, sews and blogs has time to keep a Clean Home?
In other news, it’s a rainy Bank Holiday weekend here in the UK – the final BH before Christmas. The lining fabrics for the Sweet Pea Tote arrived yesterday, so I’m off to my sewing room shortly to get weaving!
Back soon ..
My first attempt at a bag.
I got the pattern online at youcanmakethis.com:
the exterior fabric is a lush purple corduroy and the lining will be a beautiful Kaffe Fasset quilting cotton with some contrasting interior pockets. It’s a gift for a friend, so I am taking care to get it right.
I’ve made good progress today, adding a zipped external pocket which isn’t on the pattern – get me! Unfortunately I’m waiting for the fabric for the interior, so I can do no more today and it’s back to work tomorrow 😦
Looks like maternity wear. A shame. It looks so nice on the young, slender model on the pattern envelope. Guess I won’t be wearing it much. When will I ever learn?
it just needs some buttons. The ones I planned to use are too dark and didn’t look right. I’ll look for alternatives tomorrow. The fabric is Tana lawn, Anemone print.
It’s a nice pattern, although there’s a minor mistake on the tissue pattern. The back facing piece for the size 20 is an inch too short, and it’s cut on the fold, so it comes up 2 inches short. I had to draft a new neck facing for myself.
In the unlikely event I make it again, I would draft the back neckline higher, and also make the sleeves longer, with a narrower cuff.
What a relief to have finally finished the Veronica, and the pattern is in the bin!
This morning I occupied myself by making a cute and reusable gift tote for a friend’s birthday, using the free Poochie Bag tutorial from Happy Zombie.
I’ve lost count of how many of these I’ve made, they are just the thing to personalise a small gift and make it special. This one has a gardening theme and will contain a package of seeds and bulbs.
So now it’s time for a spot of self indulgence. Next up is a nice loose fitting blouse from Sew Liberated, the gorgeous Esme, which I plan to make in Tana Lawn. The first one will be a wearable muslin (I hope).
So far, I’ve traced off the pattern. The size lines aren’t clearly identifiable, easy enough for me as I’m making the largest size, but anyone in the mid range is going to have to make an educated guess.
Not sure when I’ll get to start the sewing, as its back to work tomorrow.
Here’s a pic of the pattern.