Hollyburn progressPosted: June 2, 2013
As you may know, summer has arrived, albeit temporarily.
It really has been far too nice to be indoors, so progress on my skirt was temporarily halted. However, the weekend is over. It’s back to work tomorrow, so today I bit the bullet and set to.
I decided to line it, and use an invisible zip.
All seemed to be going well, but when I put in the zip and tried it on, I found my skirt was too large! I’m presuming a mathematical error in my calculations – it never was my strong subject. Tsk! Also, my weight does fluctuate quite frequently, so it’s possible that my measurements have altered since the day I took them.
So, I removed the zip, opened up the back again and sliced off about 1.25 inches from each edge, put the zip back in and sewed her up again. Nothing if not pragmatic, me. To alter it in any other way would have been far too much trouble, and this way it didn’t affect the rather nice pockets. I use the Colette tutorial for inserting an invisible zip, it’s brilliant!
My skirt is now hanging up to drop before I hem it. It’s quite a good fit now, and it hangs very nicely.
Would I sew it again? Probably not. Why?
It was a lot of work to grade this pattern up to fit, and then more work to trim it down again when I realise I’d overdone the grading.
I wish I hadn’t lined it, because it was intended to be a summer skirt, but the lining has added an awful lot of weight. It’s definitely a transitional piece now, and possibly even suitable for winter wear.
The pockets are a very nice feature on this pattern, they really have turned out well. But I don’t wear my tops tucked in, so they will mainly be hidden from view, which is a shame.
So, whilst it is a lovely pattern, and the instructions are beautifully clear, as always with Sewaholic patterns, I think this one is going to the back of the drawer – at least for now.
Photo to be posted shortly.