A quick post!
I made another Kitschy Coo Mini Penny Pinafore dress. This one is for a two year old.
I did the long sleeved version, since it seems summer is over for another year.
And I stitched a little lace butterfly in the back neck, to help her with dressing practise :)
Sorry I have not been posting recently. It’s been a busy time.
I recently retired from work, and I’m planning a few changes to my routine and my sewing room. I’ve taken a little time out to think about things, and to enjoy the freedom of not having to go to work. I’ll be back soon!
Just a quick post today as we are going out shortly with the in-laws to celebrate a significant wedding anniversary (theirs, not ours!).
Yesterday I made this Kitschy Coo Mini Penny Pinafore for my little God daughter, Holly. She’s six and a half. We don’t have any children of our own, but Holly brings a lot of sunshine into our lives and is an adorable little girl with impeccable manners and a delightful nature.
Holly’s favourite colour is red, so I hope she will like this little summer dress.
The pattern is super easy to sew, and very practical, washable and supremely wearable. I can see that I’ll be making more of these – no doubt in a variety of themes!
The pattern covers from 6 months to 10 yrs, and there are tunic and dress lengths, plus short and long sleeve variations. After checking measurements, I made the short sleeve dress length in age 9/10, with age 8 length, as she doesn’t like things to be too close fitting. I’ve turned up a generous 2″ hem, so hope this will last her for a couple of seasons.
I’ve been a bit slack in the sewing and blogging departments lately. We had visitors for the weekend of Le Tour De France, which meant a week of cleaning beforehand, followed by a weekend of feasting, partying and generally having a ball, and then a further weekend of extremely good weather which led to some much needed exterior painting of the house. All in all, no time to sew.
Today I finally hemmed the brown & cream dress I made weeks ago, and made yet another Creative Cate. This one is not for me though, it’s for my friend Carol, who liked my blue one very much when she saw me in it. So I made one in her colours. I hope she likes it!
I made this apron for my Mother in Law, whose brthday is this weekend. I didn’t want to blog it last week in case she saw it, but I think we are out of danger now!
Behold, a self-drafted Maxi dress.
The fabric is a John Kaldor viscose jersey knit, with a cream on brown ‘rattan’ pattern from the very depths of my stash – in fact, I ‘found it’ whilst desperately trying to
stuff carefully place newly acquired fabrics into a drawer that is not nearly big enough.
I used the Butterick bodice pattern from another dress to get a rough shape for the top, the original pattern called for a self lined bodice, which was not what I was after, so I used the Tilton Ultimate T shirt method of binding on both neckline and sleeves. The skirt is just two rectangles, gathered using the gathering foot on my overlocker (which really didn’t impress me much, perhaps I wasn’t using it right?) and attached to the bodice. I also reinforced this seam with clear elastic tape.
Now, if we are being super fussy, the pattern matching on the bodice/skirt seam isn’t great. In fact, it’s shocking. But this is a long, loose, comfortable dress for wearing in hot weather, which is what we are currently blessed with here in Yorkshire
I will leave it to drop before hemming.
Hi all! Just a quick post today, as I have spent most of my time altering the clothes I sewed last week for mum. I swear she is shrinking on a daily basis!
I picked up some white 100% cotton jersey, with a textured stripe, in the local market on Friday. £3 per metre. I bought 1.5 metres and made another Style Arc Creative Cate. The fabric is a bit stiff really; not drapey enough, and shrank spectacularly when I pre-washed it at 60 degrees. I had to, because I just know, being white, it is going to get thrown in a hot wash sometime by accident. I photograped it before I re-washed it and gave it a good soak in fabric softener to see it that would help it along a bit, but it isn’t dry yet. I’m sure it’ll be fine – it looked much better on a real body than on the hanger anyway.
Then I decided to make another. This time in a very lightweight viscose jersey, mushroom colour, with a dark coffee slub. I bought heaps of this in the Girl Charlee sale, intending to make a maxi dress, for which, unfortunately, it is far too lightweight. This one is super duper drapey!
Then a quick crafty project, a present for a friend who is not too well at the moment. A Needlebook come mending kit.
Made from scraps of fleece, felt, ribbon and quilting cotton. On the other ‘pages’, there are pre-threaded needles, spare buttons etc. I will slip a little pair of embroidery snips and a tiny tape measure in the little inside pockets back & front.